It's an enjoyable walk to Aber Rhigian from the A487. Roadside parking is available on the verge at Grid Ref : SN039389. A narrow track with steep hedgebanks rich in wildflowers leads from here for about 200 yards to a junction where you turn left along a similar track for another 200 yards. Immediately before the gates to a house the path turns right into an area of ancient woodland, closely following a lively stream down the Cwm Rhigian valley as it cascades over rocks and boulders on its way to the sea. Here a pool has formed behind the shingle. Alternative access to Aber Rhigian is along the coastal path from Newport.
The beach consists of some dark sand bordered by rocks and cliffs, backed by a pebble bank which carries the coastal path.
It's a very sheltered beach, and popular for swimming, snorkelling, kayaking and sunbathing.
There is 1 review for this beach :
David Charles Roberts
27 Mar 2019
This beach has an interesting history not usually commented upon. There were rumours of smuggling at one time. And the tracks leading up from the inlet (there was a cart track and a few different paths through the wood) could take you off in various directions. There was also a farm track running from Rhigian up to the pastures overlooking the sea, wide enough for a tractor with hay-wagon. During the 1940's the landowner of the adjacent fields (which are now reverting to nature) erected a beach-house near to where the footbridge now stands and he also altered the course of the river to run to the right where the pool now stands. A small iron rail track was also built for moving materials and seacraft down to the water. The fishing boat was kept where the small damp area now stands at the left side (approaching the beach from the wood). the beach-house was of octagonal form with large picture windows and a roof of cedar tiles . . .. quite chic, and expensive. This was all abandoned in the 1950's. This would have been a holiday pad with access to beach. . . . g's and t's etc. When the National Park began to make its presence felt in the 1950's, such free and easy redevelopments of beaches, as was the case with Aber Rhigian, was not exactly welcomed and so all of the above now looks more 'natural' as opposed to the party atmosphere of the previous decade. Rhigian, the house at the beginning of the woodland path, was once a cottage with attached cowshed, single stable and pigsty. The occupier at one time, a Mr John Hughes, would spend evenings in candlelight reading his bible after a day working the smallholding. Bear in mind that the wood was once partly given over to small field enclosures further down. Some of the ancient walls can still be seen. In the field adjoining the cottage there appeared to be a collapsed burial site similar to the 5 chambered tomb on the neighbouring farm now known as Islwyn. Other interesting outcrops were also visible before the thick growth now covering the area took hold. The name Rhigian may well be drawn from the original ford connecting it to Islwyn . . . the 'Rhyd'.
Please enable Printing of Background Images in your Browser Print Settings to show this page correctly.